Good morning everyone! Today is beginning to look like another beautiful day! Sunny weekends are the best : ) Yesterday my mom and I went strawberry picking.
We ended up picking 15 pounds, which isn’t as much as it sounds like.
(Okay, maybe it is)
A few years ago when we went strawberry picking, we turned the berries into a delicious jam! I wanted to do that again this year so we looked up recipes. Most recipes call for a ton of sugar, such as a cup or more! Gross! Luckily my mom found a recipe online from 5 dollar dinners.com called No Sugar Strawberry Freezer Jam. Instead of using granulated sugar, this recipe called for apple juice and used the natural sugars from the fruit to sweeten the jam!
No Sugar Strawberry Freezer Jam
- 3 lbs. strawberries, hulled and stems removed
- 1 3/4 cups apple juice
- 1 1/2 package no sugar, low sugar pectin (I find that using 1 1/2 package really gets the jam to set perfectly!)
- Mash the strawberries in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring the apple juice and pectin to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Pour straight into the mashed strawberries and stir hard for 1 minute.
- Ladle into the freezer containers and place in the refrigerator overnight to let it cool slowly and set.
- Then store in the freezer.
- Good in the freezer for up to 1 year, in the fridge for 3 weeks.
We didn’t buy enough pectin, so the jam ended up looking like strawberry soup!
We also ended up making much more than expected. We doubled the recipe and were planning to fill four 8 oz glasses. Here’s what we finished with!
Looks like we’re set with jam until next summer and we have 9 pounds of fresh strawberries to last us about a month
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!
Do you go berry picking?
If so, what do you do with the berries?